Monday, January 3, 2011

Chapter 13: Backstories

It wasn't long before she was asked. Kriel knew that curiosity would get better of them.
"So." Harald said simply, nibbling on a stalk of grass, his singed hair a floppy mess due to diving into a nearby river. "Your mother decided to portray you as a prince so them royalty wouldn't try to wed you or attempt to kidnap you of whatever higher-ups do to gain control of the kingdom, and now since they're restless, they, or someone, decided to try to kill you which ultimately led to the most likely capture of my brother. And they Council thinks something bad is behind it so now they're making you go on some quest thing that heroes do."
Suddenly, he whipped out a knife and held the point as Kriel's throat. She didn't move.

"You'll be a lucky prince if my brother hasn't been harmed." The words were spoken in a calm tone, but Kriel clearly saw the malice and quiet fury in Harald's, ironically, sparkling blue eyes.

"Ha-Harald. Calm down okay? Your brother should be fine. Unless you think that he's too weak to defend himself or something." His friend gently grabbed Harald's hand with slightly shaking fingers. Sol took the knife and placed it back into its sheath.
"He'll probably be all right. And hopefully Seriya and the Knightmaster too.."

"Hmph." he grunted, and plopped back down again, eyes shining beneath his hair. Then yawned. "Whatever you say Sol...I'm going to sleep now."
Harald heaved himself up and stalked over to the other side of the campfire, his back to Kriel and Sol.

"I'll...retrieve your brother, I promise." The words echoed emptily in the clearing. Miri looked nervously at the trio standing in silence. Then Reinor snorted in his sleep.
"Eh, I'm not too worried about him; it's him being with Seriya that I'm worried about. Jarald'll probably run himself into trouble for her..." Harald trailed off.
Another awkward pause floated in the air, only broken by Reinor's snoring.
Sol cleared his thought. "Well, uhm, I guess we have to...rest well in order to reach Porta Nore tomorrow... So, goodnight..."
The four retreated into silence, and soon everyone but Harald was sleeping. The squire stared off into the forest, then picked up his knife and looked at it. He threw a glance at Kriel, shrugged, and sheathed the knife before wrapping himself in blankets.

(And then I post this like...3 months later. Yey. Does Harald have murderous intentions? :3)

1 comment:

  1. Yo. Lol It's been like 2 years, but hey. I can still leave comments right? lol yeah I finally found this link again. I really need to organize my inbox XD
    but man, Harald is like woah, I thought he was the nice one. I guess he's one of those like piss me off and I will BURN YOU! type of people. You know? Like olive pastries. All nice and fluffy on the outside, but on the inside they're just full of olivey umm rage. That analogy made sense in my head. Lol, ok that's cool though.
    Dude takes family pretty seriously you know? I mean Jerald's probably fine and he's already making death threats? He's got some serious I dunno, parental issues or something. XDDD LOL

    ReplyDelete